Carol Carter

13 April 2012

FABRIANO EXTRAVAGANZA!!


I have finally gotten back to the studio--- and a few days at Jury Duty.

It was an exciting trial and a wonderful opportunity to be part of the judicial process. Long live jury trials!

Anyway, I am now back to work-- and decided to stretch my wings by
trying a new paper-- FABRIANO.

Kathleen Alexander said she loved it-- so I bought a reem to experiment.

My first attempt was of a landscape from the Everglades. A horizon of scrub pines and receeding sunset was the subject.

The paper is softer than Arches-- and more accepting of paint and wash. The blooms and back washes are also softer and not so pronounced.

I don't know if I like that or not.

On the plus side-- the paper is more 'forgiving' and easier to lift mistakes and correct values.

I like that!

So.. here's the second day of working on the landscape. I'm not done yet-- but will continue to develop the whites to blend in the image.

It is exciting to think that I will be working on a different paper-- from Italy!

Tomorrow-- I am branching out and painting an Iris.


Between Time
watercolor
30" h x 40" w
2012
in progress

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Bellisimo, Carol! I like the Fabriano 140# coldpress - the soft press (if they still make it) is very soft and nice, too. Each paper does something different and I wouldn't want you to lose your blossoms and backruns!

Studio at the Farm said...

Carol , to me, the Fabriano looks like it loves your style of painting. Your "experiments" turned out beautifully!!!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Carol, I have been using the Fabriano Soft Press lately and I love it! I am looking forward to seeing what your final assessment of this paper is going to be.

Carol Carter said...

Thanks Rhonda.... I think the paper I'm using is SOFT PRESS. Or.. at least it feels pretty soft. The blossoms are softer and fainter-- therefore not as striking as I'd like. The jury is still out on whether I will use it or not.
Will share my new painting here in a few days.

Than you Studio--- I am still experimenting... but hopefully able to post something tomorrow!

thank you Christiane. I haven't made any strong decisions about Fabriano yet. It's too early to tell if I like it or not. So far.. it seems fairly gentle and more responsive than Arches.... but the results are not quite as dynamic. We shall see. Will post more paintigs later.